As part of the lab for an introductory textiles course, students needed to identify fiber types and fiber characteristics under various microscopic conditions as well as correctly use a micrometer to aid in measurement and identification. This traditionally was completed in a lab where compound microscopes were limited and students had to take turns in groups viewing the slides.
Working with a team of developers, we explored different ways students could conduct this lab experience online, without the use of a microscope. The result was the development of this Virtual Slide Viewer that simulates many of the capabilities of a compound microscope.
With this tool, students can:
- view microscopic images at varying magnification levels
- measure samples using a micrometer
- compare up to four samples side-by-side
- takes notes as they review samples
- sort or filter media based on certain criteria
- manipulate a variety of content, including images, video, and text